UVIC Teacher's Blog

A dive into EDCI 336

Week Ten: Why Media Literacy Matters in your PLN

For week 10 my group talked about the following paragraph:

I see media literacy as one’s ability to critically navigate through all the online media we consume. Julie Smith explains it as “constant critical questioning of media you consume”. Having media literacy skills allows users to take full advantage of the vast information spread throughout media as they can efficiently and effectively navigate through all the meaningless and fake information circulating through the web. I’ve never really heard of people dismissing or downplaying the need for people to be media literate. As Julie Smith talked about teaching classes about media literacy it is important to not have a bias as it can lead to students not feeling comfortable speaking on different points. Similar to the idea of rather than just bashing or dismissing news that you don’t agree with and taking the time to engage with a variety of news sources is important to have a broad understanding of where people are coming from and secondly how news can be a business. Highlighting the important role that being able to critically question the media you consume to come out being the best informed PLN.

Blog Post Questions

• Identify the risks and benefits of engaging with a public audience in a media space – What are the risks for a public figure or person in a position of trust (educator, lawyer, government official)?

The complex theme of the pros and cons of social media and tech that we’ve touched on so many times in this course is present again. As a public figure or person in a position of trust, you can always be held responsible for your media. As an educator, I see it as you are held to certain professional standards in the workplace as well as outside specifically, social media.

• How to address negative replies and critiques that reflect your personal values and your employer’s social media policy?

I believe professionalism goes a long way in situations like this. Practicing NVC (non-violent-communication) is a great way of not letting your emotions get the best of you.

• What is the benefit of having a PLN that values media literacy?

Valuing media literacy within your PLN allows you to critically navigate through the media you consume.