UVIC Teacher's Blog

A dive into EDCI 336

Week Seven – Community Engagement and Your PLN

This week we listened to a podcast with Markiel Simpson and read the chapter A New Vision For Public Media. Both the article and the podcast help look at these questions:

1. How does social media engage communications?
  2. How does social media challenge communications?
  3. Is it inclusive?
  4. Does your PLN amplify the views of others?

In my opinion, social media can do a great job of engaging communications. It has brought the opportunity forward for so many people who might never have been able to communicate with each other together and given them a platform to do so. Which comes with its pros and cons. I find one of my personal challenges with communicating through social media and technology via text or blog posts, in general, is that it is difficult to 100% understand what the other person is saying without the face-to-face conversation and emotion that comes with in-person communication. For the most part, I see social media as having inclusive access; however, there can be a lot of hate speech and due to the wide access and such broad access it can spread and pick up followers. Saying that it can also be used for social justice to combat hate and bring light to dark issues. My personal PLN can amplify the views of others and the views that I share.