UVIC Teacher's Blog

A dive into EDCI 336

Home

About me:

Hi, my name is Marco Tancon and I am currently just finishing up my second year of UVic’s Elementary Bachelor of Education (BEd) program. I have always loved everything to do with physical education and working with kids, two things in life that as of now have come easy to me. Sadly, all learning didn’t come easy for me, as a young child and teenager, I really struggled with a lot of aspects of school, specifically English and reading. Being dyslexic and ADHD did not make learning very easy, but it did teach me a couple of great skills: resilience and work hard. From my mid-teens, I was helping out at both soccer and basketball camps in the summer which is where my love of sports transitioned to a love of working with kids. Since then I have taught swimming for close to three years, I am currently a swim instructor/lifeguard at Gordon Head rec center where I have been mostly instructing because I find it more enjoyable. I’ve always loved working with kids because there is finally someone that can match my enthusiasm.

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seus

My Teaching Philosophy: I believe that all children are unique and must have a stimulating educational environment where they can grow physically, mentally, emotionally, and socially. It is my desire to create this type of atmosphere where students can meet their full potential. I will provide a safe and inclusive environment where students are invited to share their ideas, take risks and learn from their mistakes. I believe that all children are unique and have something special that they can bring to their own education. My goal is to assist my students to express themselves and accept themselves for who they are, as well as embrace the differences of others.

“The world of tomorrow in in our hands today” – Trever Mackenzie

What’s the point of teaching:

In my Tech Education course, I was lucky enough to have Trever Mackenzie as a guest speaker. I was watching an interview where he was asked “why educate”, he responded with “the world of tomorrow is in our hands today”. I believe that this quote really highlights the important role that teachers have: educating today’s youth so they can be a functioning part of tomorrow’s society. Our current education system has set forth a curriculum that has guidelines for what students should be learning. I believe that it is important for teachers to teach the curriculum; however, I also believe that teachers should go beyond class requirements to allow students to create deeper connections to the world around them. One way that I plan to do that is by incorporating inquiry-based learning in my classroom and allow students to take learning into their own hands.