UVIC Teacher's Blog

A dive into EDCI 336

Extra-Curriculars

Sport and recreation:

I love everything to do with the outdoor, recreation activities and adventures. As a kid and teenager, I probably played close to every sport out there even Aussie rules football, but I excelled at basketball. I live in a house with 5 other guys who all share a similar love of the sport and have kept busy over covid by taking up golf, tennis and surfing. In January I started to try learning how to surf. To say the least, I was ill-prepared for the Canadian cold and full neoprene suits. 

Working with Kids in Sport:

My love of sports is where my interest in teaching first occurred. When I was going into gr.9 I volunteer coached a soccer camp on Denman Island, which was a camp I loved as a kid. I have also had the opportunity to coach at two different basketball camps. Sadly, I have not been able to do very much coaching recently. Once Covid is over I plan to start giving back and coaching a basketball team at the middle school level.

School Involvement:

For the past year, I have been volunteering at Lochside Elementary school, on Wednesdays. I have been lucky enough to be able to observe two terrific teachers in a grade ⅘ class and a kindergarten/ grade 1 class. In both classes, I made an effort to use my expertise in sports, and helped lead a lesson on basketball and run games of the gold rush at lunchtime.