UVIC Teacher's Blog

A dive into EDCI 336

Musical Growth Blog 1:

Musical Growth Blog 1:

Ukulele to add to my blog post

Photo: taken from Unsplash credit to :Isabela Kronemberger

For the past three weeks, I have been trying my best to find time to learn the Ukulele. I have never been able to play any musical instruments well. When I was in grade 4 my Mum bought me a guitar and I had a couple of lessons from my uncle but I was never very interested in music in elementary school I didn’t join band, in high school, I didn’t join a choir or band. I have never given an instrument or music my full attention or the time of day, until now. The ukulele is fun and exciting and is very challenging for me; however, I love a good challenge. Most of the time sports or recreation challenges but trying to learn the ukulele has brought out some of the same thrust for success. In all honesty, I have only been able to play the ukulele about 4 times a week. My goal is to be playing it 6 days a week and they don’t have to be long sessions, 5 minutes is better than nothing. I am focusing on trying to be able to play different cords at the moment. I feel comfortable playing F, G, and Am right now and have been practicing just a simple down, down, down, down strum pattern while playing them. While playing each cord I have begun trying to switch in between cords; however, I find this the most challenging part by far. I haven’t quite narrowed down the song or strum patterns that I want to be able to play by term’s end. For me, it is hard to decide on if I want to choose a beginner’s song from music play online or choose a song that I know better and would find more interesting and engaging to learn. I am looking forward to having a facetime with my uncle and getting a bit of a music lesson from him. Lastly, the sound of my ukulele was quite eye-opening from it being out of tune to being in tune. I have attached a little sneak peek of what you might hear in my music video.