UVIC Teacher's Blog

A dive into EDCI 336

Blog Post #4 EDCI 335

Based on my groups complex topic of poverty in Canada I choose this video to respond to for this weeks blog posts: 

Prompt 1: What kind of interaction would the video require from your students? Does it force them to respond in some way (inherent)? 

The video doesn’t necessarily force the students to respond in a certain way. It doesn’t include interactive questions embedded throughout rather it explains what a material deprivation index is and how it can be used to better calculate people living in poverty. I do see this being a valuable resource to encourage students to have a discussion about what they learnt about after watching it. Either in a discussion forum post or if working in person to have a group discussion. 

Prompt 2: How would students get feedback on the activity that you set? What medium or technology would they and/or you use for getting and giving feedback on their activity?

If the students were to be in-person having a discussion post I would go around to each group and ask them to share some of the key findings from their discussion they had and then ask them some summarizing questions to make sure each group understood the key parts from the video. If it were in an online asynchronous setting I would give individual responses to their discussion posts. 

Prompt 3: In what way are they likely to respond to the video on their own, e.g., make notes, do an activity, or think about the topic (learner-generated)?

The video highlights the eye-opening statistic that 1 in 4 people in Canada are living in poverty. This would be an incredible hook that I belief would generate tons of interest in what is an incredibly complex issue that they would be more likely to talk to others about and ask questions about. I could see students going home or talking with friends at lunch being like “1 in 4 Canadians are living in poverty”. 

Prompt 4: How will you address any potential barriers for your learners in the use of this video to ensure an inclusive design?

Depending on what diverse needs my learners had would effect how I adapt this resource. Being a video that has both auditory and visuals already aligns with the UDL principle of learning and can be adapted even more. I could turn on subtitles and print the script before hand and translate it for an ESL student. 

1. emmamorgan June 21, 2024

I think the video you chose is relevant, current, and would be an engaging resource to show at the beginning of the lesson for students. I also really like your idea of printing out the script and translating it for EAL students beforehand to make the lesson more accessible and inclusive. I know that Google Translate has an option to translate documents, which can then be put into Google Classroom for students as well.

• mtancon June 26, 2024 — Post author

Thank you! I agree, using Google Translate to provide translated scripts for EAL students is a fantastic idea. It ensures all students can engage and benefit from the lesson.